A woman scientist working in the laboratory

The International Science Partnerships Fund (ISPF) is designed to enable potential and foster prosperity. It puts research and innovation at the heart of our international relationships, supporting UK researchers and innovators to work with peers around the world on the major themes of our time. It is managed by the UK’s Department for Science, Innovation and Technology. The British Council is one of the delivery partners among the consortium of the UK’s leading research and innovation bodies. For more information: https://opportunities-insight.britishcouncil.org/news/opportunities/grants-international-research-collaborations-round-2

Grants under the ISPF Fund Research Collaborations programme will fund bilateral research and innovation collaborations under the ISPF themes, with priorities set with partner countries and territories at call design. The call will fund Global Challenges Research Grants to support and facilitate research that tackles global challenges.

Primary research themes 

We welcome project applications with the following primary themes: 

  • Resilient Planet: Clean energy, extreme weather and climate, agri-tech, environmental resilience
  • Transformative Technologies: Artificial intelligence, quantum, semi-conductors, future telecommunications
  •  Healthy People, Animals and Plants: Biosecurity and pathogen detection, global health and pandemics, genomics and digital health, antimicrobial resistance (AMR)


Size of grant: UK institutions will be funded at 80% FEC up to a project cost of £50,000 (£40,000) and Turkish institutions will be funded at a project cost of £40,000 (FEC).

The grant agreement will be signed with UK higher education institutions, and the funding will be disbursed to UK higher education institutions. The awarded UK institutions will be responsible for disbursing the relevant budget to Turkish institutions based on grant agreements.UK project leaders should submit proposals with figures of 100 per cent full economic costs (FEC). If successful, the British Council will meet 80 per cent of the FEC paid to the UK research organisations and that institution will be expected to support the remaining 20 per cent.  

Unless stated otherwise, an advance payment of 80 per cent of the ISPF fund grant will be made on the signature of the grant agreement, followed by two payments of 10 per cent dependent on the approval of reports by the British Council.

Eligibility Criteria

•  Each proposal must have one project leader from the UK and one project partner from Turkey.
•  All Turkish researchers who apply must be registered on TÜBİTAK ARBİS. 
•  Other eligibility criteria apply. Please refer to the guidelines document available from the download section below for full eligibility criteria.

ODA Eligibility: In order to be considered for funding under the Research Collaborations Programme, all proposals must clearly articulate a plausible route to a positive impact on the economic development or social welfare of Turkey within a short to medium term timeframe (within 10 years).

For more on ODA, please see: https://web-archive.oecd.org/2021-05-07/154009-What-is-ODA.pdf

How to apply?

Applicants for all calls must submit a completed online application form at the following link:  https://grants.britishcouncil.org/

If you are unable to use the online application for accessibility reasons, please contact us at uk-ispf@britishcouncil.org

In addition to filling in the online form, applicants are required to upload the following documents (Please refer to the guidelines document available from the download section below for more details): 

  • Project leaders’ narrative CVs (up to two sides of A4 each) in the R4RI format
  • Letters of support 
  • Weblink to Institution Safeguarding and Whistleblowing Policies
  • Weblink to Institution Codes of Conduct on Acceptable Behaviours for staff and
  • project participants
  • A draft completed risk assessment for travel (mandatory if travel for funding is 
  • requested)
  • GANTT Chart



Call opens 9 May 2024
Deadline for applications 9 July 2024,10.00 am BST
Review panels October 2024
Outcome of selection November 2024
UK Project start dates 1 January 2025


For application and more details please visit this web page. All queries or comments about this call should be addressed to the ISPF email address: uk-ispf@britishcouncil.org