New Connections in English Medium Instruction - Turkey Research Partnership Fund 2020
About the fund
The British Council in Turkey is pleased to announce a call for research proposals under the ‘New Connections in EMI Research Fund’ scheme. Through this fund, we aim to facilitate the production of innovative research to benefit the learning and teaching of English.
The selection and funding process is as follows:
- A panel of English language teaching/EMI specialists will evaluate each proposal against a series of pre-announced criteria. – Between 19 October-23 October 2020.
- Successful applications will be announced by the British Council. - 26 October 2020
- Successful applications will be shared at the British Council’s online dissemination event where policy makers and practitioners will be invited. – 26 May 2021
- The grant for each supported project will be up to £20,000.
Through this research fund, we aim to improve the learning and teaching of English in higher education institutions in Turkey through the production and dissemination of innovative research in key areas identified by the British Council’s baseline study ‘The State of English in Higher Education in Turkey’.
The programme has the following objectives:
- To create new links between EMI research institutes in the UK, Turkey, and other EMI hubs (EU, MENA and possibly East Asia).
- An improvement in quality and quantity of joint UK-Turkey research on EMI
- New partnerships between the UK’s and Turkey’s higher education institutions (HEIs), professionals and policy makers
- Improved access of English language teachers (ELT), EMI policy makers and professionals to high quality and relevant research from the UK to inform policy and planning.
What type of activity can be considered?
The British Council is particularly interested in research within the following areas which have been identified by higher education institutions, policy makers, EMI practitioners, academics in Turkey as the main issues. For detailed explanations, please refer to Guideline for Applicants document.
- Quality in EMI
- Departmental EMI context in Turkey
- EMI as a force for internationalisation
- EMI and employability
- English as a subject
Eligibility - Who may apply?
Any joint teams of researchers/institutions from Turkey and the UK. Proposals must fulfil the following criteria in order to be eligible for funding under this programme:
- Each proposal must have one lead applicant (either from the UK or Turkey) and one partner applicant (either from the UK or Turkey), submitting a joint application. One of the applicants must be from Turkey.
- Individual departments within a single institution can make multiple applications provided that the proposed activities and aims are clearly different and that each is led by separate lead applicants.
- Each application by the same department should demonstrate that it will secure matching funds independently from their other proposals.
- Successful applicants will be announced on 26 October 2020 and they all must submit a final draft on the research by 21 March 2021. This would normally include the rationale, methodology, findings, impacts, discussion and implications, and references.
- Lead applicants must be based at one of the following institutions:
- A non-profit higher education institution with the capacity to undertake high-quality research, including their technology transfer offices.
- A non-profit research organisation with the capacity to undertake high-quality research.
- The lead applicant’s institution in the partner country (the ‘lead institution’) must have the capacity to administer the grant.
- Lead applicants can include in their proposals associated partners affiliated with:
- Research or higher education institutions
- Other education organisations/Charities/Foundations
- Non-profit organisations (including non-governmental organisations (NGOs))
The deadline for the submission of applications is Sunday, 18 October 2020 23:59 Turkey Time (GMT+3).
How to apply?
Please check Guideline for Applicants document for detailed explanations. All applications will be collected via e-mail.
- The application form,
- The budget spreadsheet,
- Letters of support from lead applicants’ and partner applicants’ institutions,
- The letter from delegated authority of the lead applicants’ institution,
must be sent to email@example.com
*Applications with missing documents will not be accepted.
For your inquiries:
Ali Murat Güçlü
Education Projects Manager
+90 (0) 312 455 3644