Institutional Links Grants – Newton Fund-Kâtip Çelebi Fund – April 2018
Apply for a Newton Fund Institutional Links grant using the online form
ABOUT NEWTON-KÂTİP ÇELEBİ FUND
The Newton-Kâtip Çelebi Fund Institutional Links Grant Programme is part of the wider Newton Fund Research and Innovation Collaboration Programme which aims to build UK-Turkey research and innovation partnerships centred on shared research and innovation challenges which have direct relevance to the Turkey’s social welfare and economic development. The Institutional Links Programme is designed to establish links beyond the level of the individual researcher, giving opportunities for more sustainable research collaboration.
The programme will provide small-scale seed funding to:
- Initiate new research and innovation partnerships between groups, departments and institutions in Turkey and the UK
- Develop existing partnerships at group, departmental and institutional level
- Establish local hubs for UK-Turkey activity in a particular research area, enabling engagement from the wider research community
These grants are delivered under the Newton-Kâtip Çelebi Fund and are supported by the both the UK and Turkish governments, Delivery Partners being British Council and the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), respectively. The Fund aims to promote the economic development and welfare of Turkey and, through working together, to address the problems of low-income and vulnerable populations in Turkey.
Size of the grant:
Up to £150,000 for the UK institution
Up to 720,000 TL for projects from Engineering & Physical Sciences and 360,000 TL for projects from Social Sciences and Humanities for the Turkish institution
For a detailed overview of eligible costs to be covered by the Institutional Links grant please see guidelines.
- Information and communication technologies (ict)
- Energy efficiency technologies
- Health technologies
- Agriculture: precision agriculture and precision horticulture
- New approaches and methods in social sciences and humanities
- Education: teacher education and learning outcomes
- Economic development, family studies, urban studies and living together
- Optics, photonics, laser, semiconducting technologies
- Environmental management and policy
ODA requirement: All applications must meet the required relevance to economic development or social welfare (see guidelines for further information) of Turkey.
• Each proposal must have one Principal Applicant from the UK and one Principal Applicant from Turkey.
• All Principal Applicants must be Leading Researchers or Established Researchers as defined by the EC here.
• Please see the list of eligible UK research institutions available in the download section below.
• Other eligibility criteria: Please refer to the guidelines document available from the download section below for full eligibility criteria.
8th June 2018 2018, 16:00 UK time/17:30 Turkey time.
How to Apply
Applications have to be submitted to the Scientific and Technological Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and British Council by the Turkish Project Investigator (PI) and the UK PI respectively.
1.Download and read fully the guidelines document from the download section.
2.Turkish PI Application
Important Notice: After submission of the application by the Turkish PI, the TÜBITAK application form should be saved as a pdf document and shared with the UK partner to be uploaded as an annex with the UK application.
3.UK PI Application
The UK PI should complete the online application form here. A word docx version of the application form is available from the downloads section. This is intended to give applicants knowledge of the questions in the online application form only, and cannot be used to submit an application. UK applicants must submit the TÜBİTAK application form, provided by their Turkish partner in PDF format, as an annex to their UK application.
Important Notice: The UK PI must submit the completed TÜBİTAK application form, provided by their Turkish partner in pdf format, as an annex to their UK application. Otherwise, the application will not be considered as eligible.
If you are experiencing issues with downloading the budget spread sheet, please try using a different browser (Google Chrome) or email UK-InstitutionalLinks@britishcouncil.org to receive a copy.
All queries from Turkish Project Investigators related to the TÜBİTAK application should be addressed to Eylem İstem Atay, Scientific Programmes Expert, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify that you are enquiring about the Newton Institutional Links call.
All other queries or comments about this call should be addressed to the Institutional Links email address UK-InstitutionalLinks@britishcouncil.org. Please specify that you are enquiring about the Newton Institutional Links call.