Prepare for IELTS
The British Council offers access to a wide range of IELTS preparation and study resources to help you prepare for your IELTS test. Find out about the different options available and the free IELTS materials provided by the British Council.
We can help you get the IELTS score you need, however you prefer to learn.
Prepare for IELTS
- How to prepare for the IELTS test?
- Understand the IELTS test format
- IELTS test preparation materials
- IELTS test day advice
- Contact us
How to prepare for the IELTS test?
IELTS measures your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills, and assesses your ability to communicate for work, study or life in an English-speaking country.
You will need to undertake a number of focused preparation activities. Some of the recommended preparation activities are:
- Examine our IELTS practice test papers and answers.
- Take practice tests under timed conditions.
- Practise with the British Council’s IELTS online preparation resources, available free when you book your test with the British Council.
- Buy IELTS self-study books and materials.
- Review our IELTS test day advice.
Understand the IELTS test format
Make sure you understand the IELTS test format. You need to know what will be expected of you on test day. Look carefully at the content of each part of the IELTS test: listening, reading, writing and speaking. Get to know the different types of questions that you may be asked in each part. You can find more information about the IELTS test format by clicking here.
IELTS test preparation materials
Prepare with British Council’s Road to IELTS
Road to IELTS is British Council’s exclusive online preparation resource for both Academic and General Training modules. With Road to IELTS you get:
- Practice zones with e-books to help you prepare for each of the four components of the test: listening, reading, writing and speaking
- Sample videos with tips from candidates and teacher tutorials, highlighting what to do and what not to do on your test
- Timed practice tests to measure your progress
- A My Progress section to help you compare yourself with other students worldwide
- A My Profile section to remind you of your test date
What are the advantages for you?
- Instant feedback: you will have instant feedback on your performance and monitor your personal progress
- Understand your mistakes: you can see the correct answers and receive tips and hints to help you improve
- Develop confidence: as the exercises are based on real IELTS test tasks, you will become more familiar with the test and so feel more confident
Get free access to 10 hours of online preparation here. When you take IELTS with British Council you get 20 hours of extra preparation.
IELTS Specimen Set
You can support your studies with the Official Practice Material, which you can find on our web site, with a content of previous IELTS examination questions and answers.
- IELTS Official Practice Material gives the candidates the opportunity to check whether their English is at the level required. This consists of a booklet and a CD and includes a complete IELTS test for both the Academic and General Training modules (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) along with answer keys. The price is 70TL.
- In order to receive IELTS Official Practice Materials to your address in Turkey, you need to transfer 70TL to the below address.Your IELTS Official Practice Materials orders will be issued and delivered to the courier company in 2 working days.
BRITISH COUNCIL TL Account
Branch Code: 1011
Account No: 1386454
Account Holder’s Name:British Council – Embassy Office of Cultural Counsellor
Swift Code: ISBKTRISXXX
IBAN CODE: TR600006400000110111386454
And send an email with your full name, mailing address, and payment Please note that if you send your email without making the payment, your request will not be valid.
Additional IELTS preparation materials
IELTS’s official preparation materials
The official IELTS preparation set includes a full practice test with an answer key and a CD for the listening and speaking parts. It helps candidates get an initial idea of their level and familiarises them with the format of the test.
IELTS practice tests
Prepare for your test using our free IELTS practice tests available at our Take IELTS website. If you prefer to practise offline, you can download the tests, blank answer sheets, transcripts and answers from the introductory pages and complete them in your own time.
IELTS preparation on British Council’s Learn English website
British Council’s Learn English IELTS section you can find practice materials and advice to help you prepare for the test. There is a series of videos focusing on the speaking module of the test, as well as online practice activities and mock test papers for the other three modules.
IELTS tips from candidates
In this collection of videos from British Council candidates tell the viewer how they prepared for the IELTS test and offer some personal advice.
IELTS Word Power App
IELTS test day advice
Prepare for your test day; success starts with IELTS. You will find the IELTS test centre staff friendly, welcoming and highly professional. They will make sure that the test is delivered fairly and securely. Follow their instructions carefully.
The week before the test
- Check the start time and location of your IELTS test the week before, and make sure you know how to get there on time.
- Remember, the address of your IELTS test location may be different to that of the test centre where you booked your test.
- Take the time to read full details of the ‘IELTS test terms and conditions’ for important information about your IELTS test day.
Your IELTS test day
- You need to arrive in good time for your IELTS test. If you arrive late, you may not be allowed to take the test.
- Switch off your mobile phone and any other electronic devices. You will be asked to place these with other personal belongings outside the test room.
- The Listening, Reading and Writing tests take 2 hours 40 minutes and there are no breaks between each part of the test.
- Make sure you are prepared and have something to eat and drink beforehand. You will not be allowed to take food into the test room; you will only be allowed to take a drink in a transparent bottle.
- The IELTS test location staff will check your identity when you arrive.
- Make sure you have the right ID with you. If you arrive with the wrong ID, you will not be allowed to take the test.
What you need to bring
- 2 ID cards ( Only National ID, Passport or Driving Licence is accepted. Student ID or work related identifications are not accepted. Candidates who do not have their identifications with them, will not be accepted to sit the exam.)
- 1 passport photo
- Identification copy
- Original application form (Completed and signed)
- Pencil, pen, eraser and pencil sharpener
For your attention
- Candidates should be at the exam venue by 8:15 to sit in the listening, reading, and writing parts. The exam start at 09.00 however there will an ID and security check before the exam.
- Candidates should arrive at the exam venue 20 minutes before the exam for speaking part.
- It is strictly forbidden to carry bags, pencil cases, books, papers, food and beverages, camera, mobile phone, music player and any type of smiliar electronic equipment.
- We strongly recommend for you not to bring any mobile phones or any valuable items to the exam venue. British Council does not take any responsibility for lost or damaged goods.
In order to serve you better, feedback/complaints about the conditions of the test must be given on the test day in writing or no later than 5 days after the test date via email. Any complaints about the delivery of the test after the results are issued will not be considered as valid.
British Council TURKEY – Examinations Department
Telephone +90 212 355 56 57 Fax +90 212 355 56 58
You can call us during weekdays between: 09:00 – 13:00 ; 14:00 – 17:00